Thursday, October 2, 2008

GETTING EXTREME!!!!!

So last month the city of Toledo played host to the ABC network as they were in town to build a house for a VERY deserving family…the Frisch family. If you do not know their story it is an amazing one. I will just try to sum it up in a few sentences (if that’s possible). Aaron is a Toledo fireman and was on scene back in 2005 when Toledo suffered a HUGE black eye in the form a riot. Aaron and his partner were on scene in an ambulance when they were attacked. He risked his life to save his partners'. Amazing. Jackie is the mom and a youth pastor with a huge heart and passion for kids. (Youth pastor have to have a heart for kids….back me up on this one pastors.) While on a mission trip to Haiti, Jackie met and fell in love with a few of the kids there. I am getting long winded on this so in short…Jackie and Aaron adopted 5 boys from Haiti, more from the inner city of Toledo and have 3 of their. (If I am off in my counts I apologize.) with 13 or so people living in a 4 bedroom house with no air conditioning and only 1 bathroom…..ABC stepped in. But they were not the only ones.

I am getting ahead of myself a bit….let’s start at the beginning. When I heard that Extreme Makeover:Home Edition was coming I started doing my research to find out how to volunteer to help with the build. I love the show as does my family. Especially my son Roby. So I sent an e-mail to the folks and said I was interested in working. About 3 days later I got a call that put tears in my eyes. On September 7th there was going to be a benefit concert for the Frisch family with Sanctus Real playing, and that they wanted me to be the emcee for the event. I was shocked, flattered, flabbergasted, and amazed all at the same time. I without hesitation said yes and immediately called my super rockin hottie of a wife Michelle to tell her the news.

I met with the organizers of the event and we got everything in place. They were expecting 3000 or so people at Centennial Terrace that day and ALOT more than that showed up. People were being turned away and there were even people scalping tickets in the parking lot. It was incredible- the outpouring of support for this family whom many did not even know. In the beginning it seemed some were there in hopes to catch a glimpse of Ty Pennington and others were there to see Sanctus Real. But it was incredible to see the attitudes of people shift from being star struck to just a genuine love and compassion for a family that truly loves each other, their community, and most of all their God.

I have no doubt that there were people in the crowd that day that have probably never heard of Sanctus Real, YES FM, or the Frisch Family and that’s fine. But they have now. They know that there are people in the Toledo area who care and want to be part of something bigger than themselves. And that is my point. There are people in your community right now who need help. As a people we tend to get excited to help out others when an event like this is still fresh in our minds and then fizzle out. We cannot fizzle…..fo shizzle…(sorry couldn’t help it…it’s the gangsta in me.)

I am encouraging anyone reading this to be a servant to those who need it. Not just with money…but your time and skills. If there is an elderly person in your neighborhood that needs help with leaves or snow removal help them out. And here is a thought…DON’T ASK FOR ANYTHING IN RETURN!!!!!!!!!! Just do it to help. If there are skilled tradesman reading this….we all know someone who could use some help with home repairs that just do not have the means in which to do it. Take a Saturday and work with them to get the problem resolved. I am not saying do it for them, rather help them do it themselves. There is something to be said for the pride in taking care of your property and ever more to be said for those who are willing to sacrifice to step in and help those who need it.

There have been times in my life when my family, both as a child and as an adult, have needed help. And through the kindness of friends and strangers…and most of all the grace of God….I have gotten the help I needed, and I KNOW that there is someone reading this that has needed help in the past and is now in a position to help another. It is now time to step up as a community and pay it forward.

Get together with your youth group, college ministry, family and help someone. Find ways to get involved in an organization like habitat for humanity or a soup kitchen and find out what is needed and where. I GUARANTEE you will get made over too.

No comments: